Frequently Asked Questions – Herefordshire Shop Local Prepaid Card Scheme – Retailer and Business Questions
- Do I need to sign up my business to accept the Shop Local card?
No. There is no sign up process and businesses do not need to let the council know that their business accepts the prepaid card.
The scheme enables any Mastercard® accepting business in Herefordshire to accept the Shop Local card.
- Is there a list of businesses that accept the card?
No. There is no sign up process. The council is not publicising a list of businesses, as the card will be accepted at Point of Sale (POS) anywhere within Herefordshire which displays the Mastercard® acceptance logo (excluding some restrictions).
However we have noticed that some businesses are actively promoting the fact that they accept the card and some are using as an opportunity to market themselves and provide special offers to their customers.
- How will I know whether the card will be accepted in my business?
The scheme enables any business in Herefordshire which displays the Mastercard® acceptance logo to accept the Shop Local card.
There are some exclusions to the scheme, these are: off-licences, betting and gambling (including lottery tickets and casinos) outlets, dating and escort services, massage parlours, pawn shops and tobacco stores, counselling services, automated fuel pumps, cable, satellite, or other paid TV subscription services and telecommunication services.
The cards have been restricted to only permit purchases at businesses based within the geographical location of Herefordshire. Due to this there may be occasions where cards do not work at your business, and the attempted transaction is declined. This may be because the address of your business (or your acquiring bank) may not be registered in Herefordshire.
- Customers have tried to use the card at my business but the transaction has failed, is there a reason why?
There are several potential reasons:
- The customer must use their PIN when making their first transaction. They will have been given a PIN when their card was activated.
- The customer may be attempting to buy something over the balance available on the card. The card is pre-loaded initially with £15, so cardholders cannot spend over this amount on a transaction. Further transactions can then not exceed the remaining balance on the card. Where a customer is purchasing an item over £15, businesses will need to split the purchase between the £15 (or whatever is the remaining balance on the card) and then use an alternative means of payment for the remaining cost of the item.
- The card may not have been activated by the customer, cards can be activated by calling allpay Customer Services on 0330 808 0102.
- There may be an issue with the registered address of your business (or acquiring bank), as described in question 3 above.
- Where does my business have to be registered?
The cards have been restricted to only permit purchases at businesses based within the geographical location of Herefordshire. This means your address, or your acquiring bank will need to be registered in Herefordshire in order for the card to be accepted.
- Can customers use it to purchase goods from my on-line store?
No, the card cannot be used for on-line purchases and can only be used for POS purchases. One of the anticipated benefits is that for customers to use the card they must physically visit their local shop, high street or city centre. In doing so we hope this encourages people to make further purchases in numerous local businesses and spend much more in the local economy than just the £15 on their Shop Local prepaid card.
- Can the customer withdraw cash on the card or put more funds onto the card?
No, the card cannot be used to withdraw cash. Neither can cardholders top up the card with their own funds. Depending on the take up of the scheme the council may “top up” issued cards. This would take place in February 2022 and the council will inform cardholders if this is the case.
- How long do customers have to spend on the card?
The scheme will last until 31st March 2022. Cardholders must have spent any funds on their card by this point. Any remaining funds after 31st March 2022 will be returned to the council.
- Is there an application deadline for households to apply?
Yes. Households must have applied for the card by 31st January 2022.
These FAQ’s will be updated when we have further information or where there are additional queries from the business community.
Shop Local Team
The allpay prepaid card is issued by allpay Ltd pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. allpay Ltd is a company regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 900539) for the issuance of electronic money. Head office and registered address: Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Hereford, HR1 3SE (Company No 02933191). Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.